Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Universe Needs Saving: Metroid Prime 2 Echoes

So since my Xbox is in a garbage dump, I decided to break out the old Gamecube and try to beat some games that I never beat. I only found 2 games in my stack that I never managed to complete. Metroid Prime 2 Echoes and Legend of Zelda Windwaker. I'm pretty sure that the reason I didn't beat these games (in the no less than 3 times I tried) was because it took so long that I eventually got bored and stopped playing, then, when I started playing it again I always restarted from scratch since I couldn't remember anything I'd done previously. This time will be different. I will defeat the baddies and save the worlds. I just started Metroid yesterday and am already 20% done according to the save file.

Metroid Prime 2 Echoes is all about Samus Aran, a bounty hunter with a special suit. The whole point of the game is that you were investigating the disappearance of some marines near planet Aether. It turns out that the marines were following some Space Pirates when they crashed on the planet and were killed by the Ing. The space pirates were after Phazon, some kind of blue energy crystals, when they stumbled upon this planet loaded with the stuff. The only problem is that this planet is actually 2 planets in one, a dark one and a light one. Some cosmic stuff collided with the planet creating parallel planets and the evil Ing in the process. Now that you have arrived, the light world finally has a hope of defeating the Ing and (wait for it) saving the Universe, because the Ing are so powerful that they will take over everything if they succeed here. It also turns out that  (surprise!) the dark world also has an evil parallel Samus clad in (wait for it) all black.

This game is actually much better than I make it out to be, I just hate the fact that you can't look up/down while moving and when you want to charge a beam shot you always fire a single shot first and basically waste ammo. That being said, one of my favorite parts of the game is that you start very close to the marine ship and the creatures in that location amount to cockroaches. So you get to see some cutscenes where a whole battleship of marines die from tiny insects. I also like the powerup-spacing. Here's a list of the powerups I got during the first of the 3 temples. Space Boots, Missiles, Light Beam, Dark Beam, Power Bomb, Dark Suit,  numerous missile expansions(8) and health expansions(4). The only thing left for me to do is exterminate the Ing and return Aether to its former glory. I'm just waiting for M. Night to step out and be like "The light world is actually the bad-guys and you just helped them conquer the Universe"dun dun dun.

10 comments:

  1. I will be completely honest in saying that I never actually played Echoes. I played the first and the third one but never got to the second. ahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. what happened to yer xbox?
    anyway gamecube is a trip, one of the few systems i regret never owning

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this game sealed...never played it :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. no one sent me a text. Ill get Dr. Adams on that. He'll save the universe without breaking a sweat

    ReplyDelete
  5. why should the x box be in the dump ?
    and why do you have so much time for vydia games ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. ive never played gamecube before i would be like what is this magical device is this some kind of sorcery? lol

    ReplyDelete