Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Fallout 3 (Update)

I've been playing more Fallout 3 this week and am still amazed by the choices that the game gives me. I can choose to either help a town or let it be attacked by mutants, I can choose to kill a merchant and take back all the items I've sold, and in one quest I can choose whether or not to detonate an atomic bomb in the town. I've learned the hard way that once you make some of these choices you cannot go back. The characters in other towns will have heard of your evil deeds and will run away from you.

I think this reflects very highly on the game designers because they took the time to set up network upon network of interactions between my character and the non-player characters. If only every game developer went through such trouble to make sure each action had a noticeable effect we'd be overrun with great games.Sure there are the first person shooter games where it only matters that you complete the objectives.

I think it would make most games much better if it really mattered how you completed the objectives. Did you kill people when you didn't have to, did you take tons of damage, or did you throw your squad mates in front as human shields. I like knowing that in some games there are thousands of possible outcomes to make my experience unique, instead of one linear progression.

9 comments:

  1. Glad to see that you are enjoying Fallout 3, but to be completely honest you might like Fallout: New Vegas better. It phenomenally improves the player choice system and each choice makes more impact, not only on the land, but on the people around you and how different groups treat you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i completely agree with your post. i think games are moving in that direction - more complex interaction with the environment and increasingly subtle consequences from that interaction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks to this game, i haven't seen my roommate in over 2 weeks... at least i get to spend more time with this hot girlfriend.... thank you fallout!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good game. I think I might like New Vegas a little better though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. its amazing how one little choice can effect the gameplay outcome in that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I really need to check out this game!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good post now followin' & supoortin'

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like New Vegas a lot more, but Fallout 3 was pretty awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, I haven't really gotten far in the quest because I enjoy walking around killing random creatures/characters much more than being stuck in a storyline.

    ReplyDelete